James P. McCanna
Jim McCanna is a resident partner in Burt, Blee, Dixon, Sutton & Bloom, LLP's office located in Auburn, Indiana. His practice focuses on transactional law in the areas of real estate (industrial, commercial and residential), Estate Planning, Probate and Elder Law, Health Care, Banking, Mortgage, Corporate and Commercial Law. He also practices Municipal and Government Law for various clients including the DeKalb County Government, Airport Authority, Board of Health, Redevelopment Commission, and St. Joe-Spencerville Regional Sewer District. Mr. McCanna is registered as a mediator in the areas of civil and family law.
After graduating from the Indiana University School of Law in Indianapolis, Indiana with honors in 1974, Mr. McCanna began his legal career as a Judicial Law Clerk for the Honorable Dixon W. Prentice, Indiana Supreme Court from 1973 to 1975. He worked in private practice in Fort Wayne from 1975 to 1978, and established his practice in Auburn in 1978.
Mr. McCanna has extensive involvement in DeKalb County, including his service as a founding and continuing board member and officer of the DeKalb County Economic Development Partnership. He has been a continuous member of the Indiana Supreme Court Committee on Character and Fitness since 1988. He has also dedicated over 30 years of service to the Georgetown University Undergraduate Admissions Department, having served for the past 10 years as Chairman of the Northern Indiana Alumni Admissions Program Region.
- Indiana, 1974
- Georgetown University, Washington D.C.
1969 - Bachelor of Arts
- Indiana University School of Law, Indianapolis, Indiana
1974 - Juris Doctor, Cum Laude
Areas of Practice:
- Real Estate (Industrial, Commercial and Residential)
- Estate Planning, Wills and Trusts
- Probate and Elder Law
- Health Care Law
- Commercial Law
- Municipal and Government Law
- Mediation (Civil and Family)
- DeKalb County Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
- DeKalb County Economic Development Partnership, Board Member and Treasurer
- Board of Directors, DeKalb Memorial Hospital (Former Board Member and Past Chair)
- Auburn Chamber of Commerce, Member (Past President)